Why Blog?

I might be more frequent with my blogs if I had a clear idea of why I want to blog. And I I do have an idea of why I want to blog, so perhaps if I lay it out it will become clearer.

For a while now I have been thinking about how bloggers are gaining more cultural significance. Blogging represents several broader trends in our culture, reflecting our increased capacity to communicate and stay connected with people, the culture of celebrity which has morphed into the cult of personality, and the need for a means to guide us through the overwhelming quantity of cultural information out there.

In that sense, I want to blog so that I can experience first-hand these cultural shifts. Hopefully even gain some insights into them. I know all the online blogging lit recommends picking a topic you like to write about, and focusing your blog if you want it to be successful (and by that, I mean actually read by people). While I see the logic in that, unfortunately I like everything. There are very few topics I don't find interesting (professional sports being one example, and even then I can be distracted given the right imagery :P ), and damn it I'm going to write about it all! In fact, I do actually think there is value in take a very broad point of view. Often, if we just focus on similar topics or issues, we failed to make important and interesting connections between diverse and disparate information. It's those unexpected connections that I love. That I will hunt for on this blog. No doubt they shall be elusive, but in the mean time I guess I'll just blog about all the different cool stuff I like.
:D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Gossip - Feb 2008

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming about the 80's with M83

Garden of Unearthly Silent Disco