Stairway to Bootleg Heaven

Mash-Ups (the smushing up of one or more songs) are great fun. The infamous one from a few years ago by DJ Soulwax, Smells Like Teen Booty, mixed Nirvana and Destiny's Child, and like most mash-ups was deliriously confusing and catchy, as if you can't quite get the two halves of your brain to sync. I'd always thought of mash-ups as a ingenious, but gimmicky. That was until I heard Stairway to Bootleg Heaven by DJ Earworm, which is now one of my all time favourite songs. It's given me new found admiration for Dolly Parton (apparently, being gay, it was only a matter of time before this happened), mixing her with Annie Lennox, Pat Benetar even the Beatles. It's so beautifully familiar yet strange, haunting but not maudlin. It builds exquisitely, interweaving the various vocals deftly, and, well, I just get chills at the 6 minute mark. I won't go on any more, just listen to it...
<BGSOUND src="Stairway to Bootleg Heaven">

Comments

Anonymous said…
And Laurie Anderson! That's pretty neat!

Popular posts from this blog

Garden of Unearthly Silent Disco

Getting Ink Done or Getting Done by Ink

Celebrity Gossip - Feb 2008